This Constitution is made to: 1) Preserve and secure the principles of our faith. 2) Preserve the liberties of each individual member of the church. 3) Ensure freedom of action of independence from any religious body or organization.4) Provide for orderly conduct of internal affairs, in dealing with others, and of governing church members.
The name of this church shall be Chesterfield Community Church. It shall be affiliated with the Middle District Baptist Association, Virginia Baptist Mission Board, the Baptist General Association of Virginia, and the Southern Baptist Convention.
II. Business Location
The mailing address of this church shall be Chesterfield Community Church, Post Office Box 576, Chesterfield, Virginia, 23832.
The purposes of Chesterfield Community Church are:
· To worship and serve God and to fulfill the Great Commission of Jesus Christ as set forth in Matthew 28:19-20.
· To minister to the needs of the members and others as the church is able to do so.
· To do any and all things related to and in connection with the carrying out of the object and purpose herein above set forth.
IV. Articles of Faith
1. We believe the Holy Bible as the inspired Word of God, without any error, the all-sufficient authority in matters of faith, doctrine, and Christian living.
2. We believe in one God, eternally existing in three Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
3. We believe in the Virgin Birth of Jesus Christ, and that He is true God and man. He died on the cross for our sins. He rose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven where He sits at the right hand of the Father and is now our High Priest and Advocate.
4. We believe that man was created in the image of God but fell into sin and therefore lost. Only through regeneration by the work of the Holy Spirit can man's salvation and spiritual life be obtained.
5. We believe that eternal salvation is the free gift of God, entirely apart from man's works, and is possessed by any and all who have faith in and receive Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.
6. We believe in a regenerated church membership: that is, persons old enough to understand their need for Jesus Christ and, of their own free will, accepted Him as their personal Lord and Savior.
7. We believe that baptism is by immersion and the Lord's Supper is a memorial to His suffering and death on the cross. These are ordinances to be observed by the church in its present age. They are, however, not to be regarded as means for man's salvation.
8. We believe in the personal, bodily, imminent, and glorious return of the Lord Jesus Christ and that His Second Coming inspires believers for dynamic and zealous life and service for Him while waiting for His return.
9. We believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead, the everlasting blessedness of the saved in heaven, and the everlasting punishment and separation from God of the unsaved in hell.
10. We believe in the autonomy of the local church. The church shall manage its own affairs and shall not be subject to any other religious body or organization.
We subscribe to the "Baptist Faith and Message" adopted by the Southern Baptist Convention in 1963 as our larger statement of faith with scriptural references.
The government of Chesterfield Community Church is vested in its members. The membership retains unto itself the right of exclusive self-government in all phases of its life and organization. It recognizes the needs for mutual counsel and cooperation, which are common among Baptist churches. This church will cooperate with and mutually work with the Middle District Baptist Association, Virginia Baptist Mission Board, the Baptist General Association of Virginia, and the Southern Baptist Convention.
VI. Nonprofit Status and Liquidation
This church is not organized for profit. In the event of liquidation or dissolution of the church, all of its assets and property of every nature and description whatsoever shall be paid over and transferred at the direction of the trustees to the Middle District Baptist Association, Virginia Baptist Mission Board, the Baptist General Association of Virginia, and the Southern Baptist Convention.
This Constitution and Bylaws may be amended provided the proposed amendment shall have been presented in writing at a regular church business meeting and then circulated to the membership. Amendments to this Constitution and Bylaws shall be by two-thirds vote of members of the church who are qualified to vote and are present in the business meeting with a quorum (defined by the Chesterfield Community Church Bylaws as one fourth (1/4) of the active membership roll) to discuss and vote for this matter.
Chesterfield Community Church
Loving God, Loving People, Serving the World